- 1 large, butternut squash – cubed, weighing about 24 ounces after cubing
- 3 tbsp, il Fustino Arbequina EVOO – divided
- 1 tsp, cinnamon
- 1, carrot
- 1/2, yellow onion
- 2, celery stalks
- 3 cloves, garlic
- 3 cups, chicken broth
- salt and pepper – to taste (we used about 2 tsp of kosher salt and 3/4 tsp of ground black pepper)
- 3 tbsp, il Fustino Aged Balsamic
- Optional garnishes: roasted and salted pumpkin seeds, a dollop of yogurt, a pinch of cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spread cubed butternut squash onto an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of EVOO and sprinkle cinnamon over the squash. Toss squash to coat.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until tender.
After squash has been cooking for about 15 minutes, prepare the mirepoix to flavor the soup: dice the carrot, onion and celery, set aside. Heat up the remaining EVOO in a heavy bottomed pot. Once oil is heated add in the diced vegetables. Mince the garlic cloves and add them to the pot with the vegetables.
Cook for 5-7 minutes until very aromatic. Add chicken broth to the pot and bring to a simmer.
Remove squash from oven and add to the pot.
Increase heat to medium and cook for about 12 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
Once soup is done cooking transfer, in batches, to a blender to puree.
Transfer back to pot and stir in aged balsamic.
Serve with your choice of garnish.