Fresh Cabbage Kimchi
- 1 lb napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 lb baby bok choy, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, plus more for drizzling
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the napa cabbage and bok choy.
In a large saucepan, combine the salt and 1/4 cup of the sugar with 2 quarts of water and warm over moderate heat just until the salt dissolves.
Pour the brine over the cabbages and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Rinse and drain the cabbages. Transfer to a large bowl and add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, fish sauce, sesame oil, and remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
Toss well and let stand for 30 minutes. Garnish the kimchi with sesame seeds before serving.