Italian Braised Pork Chops
Delicious, flavorful and fork-tender, these chops are best served over polenta.
- 4 large, Boneless pork chops
- 1/2 cup, all-purpose flour
- kosher salt – to taste
- fresh ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 green bell pepper – sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper – sliced thin
- 3 cloves, garlic – crushed
- 1 medium, onion – sliced thin
- 1 cup, mushrooms (preferably Crimini) – sliced
- 1 teaspoon, dried oregano
- 1/4 cup, il Fustino EVOO
- 2 cans, tomatoes (preferably Italian)
Preheat oven to 275 degrees
Pat chops dry with paper towels
Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Dredge chops in flour
Heat oil in a heavy, oven-proof skillet (cast iron is best here) over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until golden. Remove and discard garlic.
Brown chops in the garlic oil well on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
Add onions, bell peppers and mushrooms and saute for about 10 minutes
Add tomatoes with juice and oregano. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes.
Correct seasoning with more salt or pepper as necessary.
Lay chops on top and push down so they are covered with the liquid. Cover with a heavy lid and place in oven
Braise the pork chops for one hour at least.
Serve over polenta with a generous helping of sauce.