Ancho Vinegar Pickled Red Onions
- 1/2 cup, il Fustino Head Ancho vinegar
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon, salt
- 1/2 cup, water
- 12 black peppercorns
- 1 medium, red onion – halved and sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño chile – stemmed, seeded and sliced thin (optional)
1. Bring the vinegar, bay leaves, salt, peppercorns, and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Stir in the onion and optional jalapeno, return to a boil, and remove the pan from the heat.
3. Cool to room temperature and remove the discard the bay leaves and the peppercorns.
4. The pickled onions can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week, always return to room temperature before serving.