Author: Jim Kirkley from original recipe by Leonardo Curti
Mixed Vegetables marinated and sauteed topped with grilled Shrimp, Fish or Chicken. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with a splash of olive oil and caper berries.
- 1 eggplant – peeled and cut in 1′′ cubes
- 3 stalks, celery – peeled and cut in 1/2′′ sections
- 1 onion – cut in 1′′ cubes
- 1 clove, garlic – coarsely chopped
- 10 black olives
- 2 handfuls, golden raisins – optional
- 2 tablespoons, pine nuts
- 4 basil leaves – coarsely chopped
- 1 cup, plum tomatoes – whole
- salt and pepper – to taste
- 1/4 cup, il Fustino White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon, sugar
- 1 tablespoon, dried oregano
- 5 mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 12 medium, shrimp
- additional olive oil for frying
- caper berries – optional for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut all vegetables to correct size.
3. Fry dried eggplant in olive oil for 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
4. Add extra virgin olive oil to pan. Heat over medium high heat until almost smoking.
5. Add garlic. Fry until lightly browned.
6. Add onion and celery. Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add basil, whole black olives, raisins (if using), whole tomatoes.
8. Place in oven, uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes.
9. Remove from oven. Add fried eggplant and pine nuts.
10. Add vinegar and sugar. Top with crushed mint.
11. May be served warm or at room temperature. Before serving drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a bit of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
12. To serve with shrimp, season shrimp with salt, pepper, drizzle with olive oil and grill. Top the Caponata with several shrimp.
Can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.