Lemon Barley Risotto
Author: Paulette Lambert
- 5 cups, reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon, il Fustino EVOO
- 1 cup, pearl barley – rinsed and drained
- 10 small, radishes – trimmed
- 1 bunch, swiss chard – stems removed and leaves torn into large pieces
- 1 preserved lemon – thinly sliced seeds removed
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup, fresh dill
- 8 large, mint leaves – torn
In a small saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over medium heat. Keep warm.
Heat olive oil in large sauté pan. Add barley and toast until golden, about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer and stir frequently, until broth is mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes.
Add radishes and remaining 3 cups broth (1⁄2 cup at a time), letting each addition be absorbed before adding more. Cook until barley is tender and creamy, about 30 minutes.
Add chard and cook until just wilted, about 5 minutes.
Stir in preserved lemon. Season to taste with salt.
Remove from heat and add fresh dill and mint.