Baked Eggplant with Eggs
Author: Perusing Waverly with modifications by Jody Kirkley
This is the ultimate comfort food — not elaborate, but carefully prepared and perhaps reminiscent of a simple dish from childhood. It makes a satisfying one-dish dinner. Serve with a light green salad.
- 4 tablespoons, il Fustino EVOO
- 1 medium, onion – sliced 1/4′′ thick
- 4 cloves, garlic – peeled and thinly sliced
- kosher salt – to taste
- fresh ground black pepper – to taste
- 1/4 cup, dry white wine
- 1 28 ounce can, whole pealed Italian San Marzano tomatoes and their juice – available at il Fustino
- (otherwise use canned chopped tomatoes)
- 1 eggplant (about one pound) – peeled and sliced 1/4′′ thick
- 5 ounces, fresh mozzarella – thinly sliced
- 4 extra large, eggs
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it trembles, becomes aromatic, and easily coats the bottom of the pan.
2. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover the pan and cook until the vegetables are soft, but not browned, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the wine and bring to a simmer.
6. Add the tomatoes and their juice and break them up with the spoon.
7. Partially cover the pan and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. This can be made ahead of time and reheated before finishing.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
9. Toss the slices of eggplant with remaining olive oil. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the baking pan.
10. Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
11. Roast until lightly browned and tender, about 15 minutes.
12. Put the tomato sauce in a 12-by-9-inch gratin dish or baking pan. Arrange the roasted eggplant in one layer on the top. Top the eggplant with slices of mozzarella cheese.
13. Bake until the cheese is starting to melt and the sauce in the center of the dish is bubbling. About 8 to
14. Put eggs in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Pour the eggs over the cheese and eggplant. Sprinkle
with salt and pepper.
15. Return to the oven and bake until the eggs are set, browned and slightly puffed, 5 to 8 minutes.
16. Serve immediately.