Braised Fennel with Olive Oil, Lemon and Chile
While braising, the fennel absorbs the flavors of the olive oil, lemon and chile, and the anchovy adds a salty touch.
- 4 medium, heads of fennel
- 1 cup, extra virgin olive oil
- finely grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of 1 large unwaxed lemon
- 1 anchovy in oil – rinsed and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon, red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup, white wine vinegar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place rack in middle of oven.
2. Trim stalks and remove fronds from the fennel, retaining the green fronds. Cut fennel bulbs in half. Remove the hard core, then cut into 2 wedge-shaped quarters. Arrange quarters in a flame-proof casserole dish.
3. Combine olive oil, zest, lemon juice, anchovy, pepper flakes, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Pour over fennel. Bring dish to a boil over a medium flame. Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until fennel is soft and tender.
4. Remove from oven and carefully remove foil. Taste and add more vinegar if necessary. Serve warm or cold topped with reserved fennel fronds.