- 2 cups, packed, fresh basil leaves – stems removed
- 4 cloves, garlic – peeled
- 1/2 cup, pine nuts – toasted
- 2/3 cup, il Fustino Arbequina EVOO – divided
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup, Pecorino cheese – freshly ground
1. Toast pine nuts in frying pan until golden brown. Allow to cool.
2. In a small sauce pan add olive oil and garlic. Bring to medium heat and roast garlic until golden. Remove garlic with slotted spoon and allow cool.
3. Combine the basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped
4. With processor running, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the cooled olive oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth
5. Season with salt and pepper
6. Transfer the pesto to a serving bowl and mix in the cheese